onsdag 25. november 2015

Audi AG - High-end brand on discount - not doing much - structural nightmare

At the same time as I invested in Volkswagen I also picket up some Audi shares (and BMW which will be discussed on a later date) as they had been dragged down alongside Volkswagen on the tail of the "dieselgate" scandal. At that point there were no public news regarding Audi's involvement in the scandal. My point of view was that I now could buy the premium brand Audi at a significant discount.

Since I bought the shares Volkswagen's share price has made a significant comeback, while Audi has done nothing. The share just sits there, looking somewhat illiquid and confused regarding its own existence.

Audi has tended to trade at a discount to its peers BMW and Daimler historically due to structural issues. Frankly, I am not sure why the share floats at all considering that 99.5 % is owned by Volkswagen and only 0.5 % is free-floating. I am also confused regarding the disappointing annual dividend payment (0,5 % dividend yield) where outside shareholders receive the amount that is paid as a dividend on one Volkswagen ordinary share each fiscal year. I have no idea how that makes sense.

On a more positive note the share trades at a significant discount to its historical Price/ Book and P/E. Furthermore the company is experiencing above industry growth and has proven resilient and solid profit margins.

Audi delivery growth:


                                Source: Audi AG

In essence Audi is a solid company and brand with a stock currently trading at a steep discount to historic trading while being confused regarding its own existence. I will sell the stock as soon as its pricing multiples normalizes as I don't know if and how the structural discount will ever cease to exist (and yes, I do know VW could at some point float more shares, or take over the floating shares at fair market value. VW could even sell the whole company in a trade sale, however the current situation has not changed in decades).

Audi Price/ Book development

   Source: YCharts

Disclosure: I am long Audi AG

I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving any compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.
Blogglistenhits